Can dogs get colds? It is a question which is frequently asked by pet owners caring much about their babies health. Here today we’ll let you know all the details about this topic. Keep looking and find the answer!
Detailed explanation of the cold symptoms of dogs:
- The spirit is not good, snoring, like to squat (this seems to be the common performance of all uncomfortable dogs) ;
- A watering nose (note that it is watery, not purulent or colored);
- Sneezing and coughing (cough is very similar to canine distemper, canine parainfluenza and bronchitis);
- Conjunctival congestion, tears, loss of appetite (this symptom is similar to canine distemper too);
- The body temperature rises, generally 39 ~ 40 ° C (the normal rectal temperature of adult dogs is 37.5 ~ 38.5 ° C);
The difference between the similar illnesses and a cold:
- Rhinitis: the body temperature does not rise, the nasal mucosa is red and swollen, and the nasal fluid is pus-like or bloody;
- Sinusitis: dog mouth and nose have odor, sinus being swell and pain, body temperature is not high;
- Canine distemper: body temperature rises to 40 ~ 41 ° C, and is biphasic heat (that is, burning for a few days, body temperature slowly decline, after several days catch fever again), the eyes have sticky secretions;
- Canine parainfluenza: infectious, with intense cough symptom, red tonsil and edematous nasal fluid;
- Bronchitis: severe short cough, dry cough.
In the mentioned illnesses, canine mild and canine parainfluenza are contagious, and it is pathogenic, and their difference from the cold is also obvious. If you find your dog catch these two diseases, you must go to the hospital immediately.
Common symptoms of a dog's cold
- The spirit is not good, and seems to be weak the whole day;
- Have a watery nose, not the purulent nasal discharge;
- A lot of sneezing, frequent cough and eating difficulties, as if the throat has serious discomfort;
- Red eyes, congestion symptoms and inexplicable tears;
- Without appetite for eating;
- With fever symptoms, body temperature is mostly 39 to 40 degrees Celsius, and under normal circumstances, adult dogs should be between 36.5 to 37.5, puppies usually around 37 to 38 degrees Celsius.
- The dog's sense of smell is significantly reduced, even without response to the smell of dog food and desserts.
How to help dogs prevent colds
First, we must improve the conditions of the kennel to prevent wind and rain. The ground of the kennel should be dry, and there should be bedding on cold days.
The second is to enhance the dog's physique, in addition to pay attention to the quality of the food, proper exercise and a certain amount of sunlight are still necessary.
Prevent puppies from catching colds
- In addition to keeping your pet warm, add a fluffy mat for your pet.
- A reasonable diet is also very important. In autumn and winter pet owners should pay attention to avoiding cold food, once they eat cold food or drink raw water, the digestive system is prone to have problems.
- The puppy should eat more food in the cold season, dog food may need to be prepared more. With enough nutrients and energy, they’ll have stronger cold resistance ability in autumn and winter.
- Appropriate adjustments should also be made in the way of bathing for puppies. In the autumn and winter season, the number of times the dog is bathed should not be too much. Generally, it can be washed once every 5 to 7 days. The hot water is the suitable for each bath, which can effectively prevent the puppy from catching a cold.
All in all, dogs can get colds. So we should pay more attention to warm keeping when the season gets to be colder. Enjoy a happy autumn and winter with your baby~~